Interim Executive Solutions offers: Temporary Capacity, Permanent Impact
IES strengthens nonprofits by providing experienced leaders to work within the company for a limited time to assess the needs, build internal capacity, execute priorities and smooth transitions to permanent solutions.
Times of change, while potentially turbulent, can be opportunities to reassess organizational strengths and challenges, review progress towards strategic priorities, and reengage staff and board in support of the mission of the organization and the key actions that are essential to achieving that mission.
Why Hire an Interim Executive Director?
Whether planned or unplanned, transitions in leadership provide a narrow window during which a nonprofit can evaluate whether the organization addresses these issues:
• goals of the Board
• needs of the staff
• desired outcomes for the intended beneficiaries
An effective, professional interim leader can:
• provide an objective assessment of these issues
• establish short-term priorities that are needed to stabilize and strengthen the organization
• empower and support the leadership team and staff to implement those priorities.
These are often actions that a permanent hire may not be able to undertake for some time because they often need to build long-term trusting relationships before acting as a change agent.
Since interims derive no personal, long-term benefit from their actions and recommendations, they are free to hear and process multiple perspectives on the organization’s current situation and can act more quickly in the best interest of the organization and its mission. They can also provide an objective assessment of the characteristics needed of the leader who will fill their role permanently.
How We Work
Prior to an engagement, Interim Executive Solutions learns about the organization, its current situation, its needs and any concerns its leadership might have. During this process we determine whether the budget for the position is sufficient to compensate for the time needed onsite to perform the required duties. We then select one to two candidates from our team of professionals who have the background, temperament and availability. We arrange interviews with key Board Members and staff as needed to establish the best fit. Once an IES Interim is selected, an IES Partner Liaison is also assigned to check in regularly with the interim leader and our client to ensure the assignment is going smoothly and to offer specialized expertise to supplement the organization’s capabilities if needed.
During the assignment our professional will:
• Interview key stakeholders to assess the current situation
• Report on her or his assessment of the priorities that need to be addressed
• Engage the staff in developing and executing an action plan and monitoring progress
• Provide perspective on longer-term needs of the organization in preparation for the permanent ED search. (IES cooperates with search firms but does not, itself, provide search services.)