Resources for Non-Profit Management:
Block, Peter FLAWLESS CONSULTING
Bridges, William MANAGING TRANSITIONS
Bridgespan THE NON PROFIT SECTOR’S LEADERSHIP DEFICIT http://www.youthroots.com/pub/doc/Leadership-Deficit-White-Paper.pdf.pdf
Burck, Bradley CONQUERING NONPROFIT CHAOS (Podcast series)
CompassPoint, Inc. https://www.compasspoint.org/referrals
Egmont, Susan Managing Leadership Transition for Non Profits, Passing the Torch to Maintain Organizational Excellence, FT Press, 2011
Maryland Council of Non Profits (checklists for transitions)
Massachusetts Non Profit Network (checklists for transitions) http://www.massnonprofitnet.org/resources-2/nonprofit-411/
Social Enterprise Alliance http://toolbelt.se-alliance.
Transition Guides LEADERSHIP TRANSITION GUIDES (Silver Springs, MD) http://www.transitionguides.com/publications
Wolfred, Tim BUILDING LEADERFUL ORGANIZATIONS: Succession Planning for Nonprofits, https://folio.iupui.edu/handle/10244/140
From Non Profit Transitions, Ruth McCambridge (Nonprofit Quarterly 112 Water Street Boston, MA 02109 ):
On Organizational and Financial Sustainability
- Steve Zimmerman and Jeanne Bell, (2014) The Sustainability Mindset: Using the Matrix Map to Make Strategic Decisions.
- Dennis G. McMillan, (2013). Focus on Sustainability, The Foraker Group.
- Jeanne Bell and Kate Barr, (2011) An Executive Director’s Guide to Financial Leadership, The Nonprofit Quarterly.
- Jeanne Bell, (2011) Beyond Financial Oversight, The Nonprofit Quarterly.
- Jeanne Bell, Jan Masaoka and Steve Zimmerman, (2010) Nonprofit Sustainability: Making Strategic Decisions for Financial Viability.
On Executive Transitions and Succession Planning
- Tom Adams, (2010). The Nonprofit Leadership Transition and Development Guide: Proven Paths for Leaders and Organizations.
- Mark Leach, (2009). Table for Two: Can Founders & Successors Co-Exist So Everyone Wins?Washington, DC, Management Assistance Group.
- Tim Wolfred, (2009). Managing Executive Transitions: A Three-phase Guide for Nonprofits.
- Nancy R. Axelrod, (2009). Chief Executive Succession Planning: Essential Guidance for Boards and CEOs, Second Edition, BoardSource.
- Don Tebbe, (2008). Chief Executive Transitions: How to Hire and Support a Nonprofit CEO also: http://dontebbe.com/six-ceo-succession-readiness-questions/ https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/three-phases-ceo-succession-timeline-don-tebbe#comments Washington, DC, BoardSource.
- Tom Adams, (2008). Sustaining Great Leadership: Succession Planning for Nonprofit Organizations. Chicago, IL, First Nonprofit Foundation.
- Tom Adams, (2006). Staying Engaged, Stepping Up: Succession Planning and Executive Transition Management for Nonprofit Boards of Directors, Annie E. Casey Foundation.
- Tom Adams, (2005). Founder Transitions: Creating Good Endings and New Beginnings, Annie E. Casey Foundation.
- Ted Ford Webb, (2004). Successful Successions: Executive Transitions that Worked, The Nonprofit Quarterly.
- Tom Adams, (2004). Capturing the Power of Leadership Change: Using Executive Transition Management to Strengthen Organizational Capacity, Annie E. Casey Foundation.
- Tom Adams, (Winter 2002). Departing? Arriving? Surviving and Thriving: Lessons for Seasoned and New Executives, The Nonprofit Quarterly.
- Denice Rothman Hinden and Paige Hull, (Winter 2002). Executive Leadership Transitions: What We Know. The Nonprofit Quarterly.
- Tim Wolfred, (Winter 2002). Stepping Up: A Boards Challenge and Leadership Transitions, The Nonprofit Quarterly.
On Board Development
- TEN BASIC RESPONSIBILITIES OF NONPROFIT BOARDS (3rd edition) Board Source
- 7 Ways to Ruin Board Engagement by Board Effect
- Don Tebbe, “Managing the CEO Transition: The Board’s Tasks” The six tasks outlined in the article are the framing for the new edition of the book, “Chief Executive Transitions: How to Hire and Support a Nonprofit CEO,” which BoardSource will publish this fall. Interviewed a number of ETM/LC colleagues around the country, all of whom had a similar complaint: the challenge of getting the board to see beyond the search, and plan for and manage the transition process. By calling out the board’s transition management responsibilities as tasks, my goal is to put boards on point. To point out that, yes, you can focus only on the search, but you’ll be leaving the rest of these tasks undone and leaving the organizational change management to chance.
- Annie B. Casey Foundation has online tool for Board Assessment, manually scored
- UNH, Center for Non-Profit Management has online tool for Board Survey, they score, free for non-profits
- HBSAB Governance Survey (private file)
Non-Profit Business Case Studies:
Finance & Accounting
How Does Accountability Affect Mission? The Case of aNonprofit Serving Immigrants and Refugees by Rachel Christensen and Alnoor Ebrahim
TIP: Do Board Governance assessments using tools from Annie B. Casey Foundation or ….?
Strategic Planning, Organizational Change
Mercy Corps: Positioning the Organization to Reach New Heights by Allen S. Grossman and Caroline Joan King
Grounded Visioning: A Quick Way to Create Shared Visions by Jay W. Vogt, in www.snpo.org, vol. 26, number 4